Tuesday 24 January 2017

Best Version of Yourself


Oh I've missed blogging but I sat here for a long time, wondering what to blog about. Paralyzed is probably more accurate. Last year has been a busy one and I have struggled to find time to blog – sometimes I do feel a bit like I'm just spinning plates!

What better way to start my first post of the year by sharing a little about myself & some wise words from
Aruna Sukumar :D (well let's hope so) 

I have struggled with this for most of my life. I was always taught to be better than others; to never settle for anything less than gold. We all do it or have done it at some point in our lives. We compare ourselves to others and judge where we are based on how well they are doing.

Two years ago, I was at the lowest point of my life, to me it was rock bottom, really. Life was pretty rough for me. It was a place I never expected to be in. Today, it all makes sense but back then, I kept wondering to myself “Why, why is this happening to me?!” That incident left me in a place that I never want or wish for anyone to be in. An extremely depressing zone. Throughout the ordeal, I did nothing but compare myself to others, more so than ever.

Growing up, I had been always been a very curious girl. Curious to such an extent that I often left my parents answer-less. Trust me, you don’t want to know what sorts of questions I used to ask them. This curious attitude of mine did at times help me. I try to answer most of the questions in my head. This one in particular was a great help to me.
“Why do I compare myself to others?”

Think about it, why do we all do this? Let me tell you why. It is the influence of our family, friends, the media & society at large that makes us do this whether we’re aware of it or not. I realize that they were taught and influenced by their environment and this tradition has merely been passed on to us; the way it has always been. And well if you have Indian parents you would know how much it means to them; what society thinks!

I used to compare myself to just about everything. I suppose it’s because of my obsession of wanting to be & own the best of everything. Isn’t that normal? To feel as such? We all want the best don’t we? So why not the best version of ourselves?

Listen sweetheart, if you are comparing yourself to someone right now, STOP! Stop ‘stalking’ him or her. We all know that not everything you see & hear are true. Put your stupid phone(s) away, get up, get out & get a breather! And if you have strict parents like mine and if you are reading this at the wee hours then turn off your phone and just hit the sack, now!
Why? Well what else can you do? Haha.

Look, I know it is easier said than done. It takes time for you to make something into a habit. So try. Keep trying and don’t stop until you are so much happier than you’ve ever been in your life. Comparing yourself with others does nothing but make you sad & depressed as you’ll always find someone who in your opinion is doing much better than you are.

Let 2017 be a year filled with “Me!” So focus on yourself & if you need to then, compare yourself to your past self and nothing more!

To all the parents reading this, please do not be a negative space among your kids. Provide them the tools to be the best version of themselves and I guarantee that they will amaze you.

No comments: